We Do What We Can


I have spent the last several days cleaning up after a sick puppy.  Puke and poop – my two least favorite things, really.  My poor lab just got turned inside out on this one, and she was just PIT-I-FUL.  She is better now, but wow, did she not feel so good.

I have spent the last five days hosting my mother here. 

I have tried to fix a broken toilet.  I fixed it several times, until one time it just gave up and said “no more!” and that was that.  I spent today largely waiting for the plumber, who is coming tomorrow.

I have done laundry.  I have made dinner.  I have served leftovers.  I even cut someone else’s toenails (ew).

We do what we can.

During the school year, when I am teaching, I often have the thought that, today, at that moment, I need to be a mom and not a teacher.  Whether I am trying to get my son to read or get my daughter to be nice, or to be with a sick kid or dog…just the urge comes over me to be a mom and not a teacher.

I make mistakes.  I own my mistakes and try to fix them as best I can and then I move on.  The only real mistake I have ever really made in my life, I believe, is that I didn’t call my dad the day before he died.  No, I didn’t know he was going to die that day.  But if I had just called…. That’s when you learn that you call when you can.  You hug when you can.  You say you love someone when you can.

I’m not really sure what the point of this post is.  Mainly, I think, is to let you know if you are reading this that, whatever you do, do what you can.  We do what we can.  It is good enough.  Anyone who tells you differently can just suck eggs or something, because it ain’t right.  It is good enough.  You and I are good enough.

We do what we can.  And then we rest and start again tomorrow.
Thanks for stopping by.

Comments

Popular Posts