We Are How We Shop?
Dear Husband and I were watching 30 Rock the other night (which used to be a very funny show but now is just odd). It was a recorded show, so I don't know how old it was, but it was the one where Jenna is trying to get her wedding sponsored and she finally settles on the cheap shoes website, because she was excited that the photographer that caught her beating up a fake Elmo thought she was wearing real Christian Louboutin shoes when really they were cheap fakes. (Sorry - that was a lot of explanation to get to the point...) Anyway, at the point she realizes that the photographer thought her shoes were real, she realizes that that's who she is - she wants people to think she's wearing/is the real deal when, in actuality, they are cheap fakes. We are how we shop, or something like that.
But that made me think...are we how we shop?
I lately have caught the thrifting bug - it's very trendy these days to haunt thrift shops and Goodwill (there are a ton of blogs and websites about it). But it's fun. I love finding a bargain that is in good shape and useful. I've been wondering why I love this. I am fortunate enough that I can buy things new, but there is something fun and challenging about finding something - even if second-hand- at a bargain that's in good shape and useful, too. Is it the challenge of the hunt? Is it finding hidden treasure?
I don't think so, honestly. I don't like hunting for things I need - I generally prefer finding what I need easily. I think what it is - at least in part - is that I like a good bargain. That's the fun in it for me - that I got something I wouldn't normally pay full price for, or at least would prefer not to, and got it for a song. For example, I got a Coach purse in good condition for $14. I didn't need the purse; I wasn't even looking for a purse when I found it. Yet I was thrilled when I found it and I bought it knowing it was a deal.
Or maybe that it's the hunt AND that it's a bargain. For example, I love the "as-is" room at Ikea. Sure, I can afford to buy the shelf and brackets at full price, but it's more fun to me to find them in the as-is room and buy them at half-price, knowing they are completely fine but were just used in a display at some point. It's like finding a secret treasure.
Also, thrifting especially is a form of recycling. Those of you who know me well (which, probably, is all of you, because you are the kind folks who read this blog! And thank you for that!) know that I love recycling and am passionate about it. I would always prefer saving something from the landfill. Thrifting is a high form of recycling, and I do love that.
I have had fun during my little thrifting adventures. I have gotten such treasures as a Marcella Hazan cookbook in perfect condition for $2.50, a system to hold tools and garden tools for $6, a little bluebird creamer for $2, a glass terrarium for $2. They aren't big purchases and, if I regret buying them, I'm only out a few bucks. But I love them, and I loved finding them.
And that's the other thing that I love about bargain shopping...I find treasures. Not just stuff, but things that I really love and will use. The $10 bowl I got in the Ikea as-is room ($20 regular price) I use for everything - fruit, salad, dinner, everything.
So, if we are how we shop, does that make me thrifty? A thrifty bargain hunter? A thrifty bargain hunter/recycler?
How do you shop, and what does it say about you?
Thanks for stopping by.
But that made me think...are we how we shop?
I lately have caught the thrifting bug - it's very trendy these days to haunt thrift shops and Goodwill (there are a ton of blogs and websites about it). But it's fun. I love finding a bargain that is in good shape and useful. I've been wondering why I love this. I am fortunate enough that I can buy things new, but there is something fun and challenging about finding something - even if second-hand- at a bargain that's in good shape and useful, too. Is it the challenge of the hunt? Is it finding hidden treasure?
I don't think so, honestly. I don't like hunting for things I need - I generally prefer finding what I need easily. I think what it is - at least in part - is that I like a good bargain. That's the fun in it for me - that I got something I wouldn't normally pay full price for, or at least would prefer not to, and got it for a song. For example, I got a Coach purse in good condition for $14. I didn't need the purse; I wasn't even looking for a purse when I found it. Yet I was thrilled when I found it and I bought it knowing it was a deal.
Or maybe that it's the hunt AND that it's a bargain. For example, I love the "as-is" room at Ikea. Sure, I can afford to buy the shelf and brackets at full price, but it's more fun to me to find them in the as-is room and buy them at half-price, knowing they are completely fine but were just used in a display at some point. It's like finding a secret treasure.
Also, thrifting especially is a form of recycling. Those of you who know me well (which, probably, is all of you, because you are the kind folks who read this blog! And thank you for that!) know that I love recycling and am passionate about it. I would always prefer saving something from the landfill. Thrifting is a high form of recycling, and I do love that.
I have had fun during my little thrifting adventures. I have gotten such treasures as a Marcella Hazan cookbook in perfect condition for $2.50, a system to hold tools and garden tools for $6, a little bluebird creamer for $2, a glass terrarium for $2. They aren't big purchases and, if I regret buying them, I'm only out a few bucks. But I love them, and I loved finding them.
And that's the other thing that I love about bargain shopping...I find treasures. Not just stuff, but things that I really love and will use. The $10 bowl I got in the Ikea as-is room ($20 regular price) I use for everything - fruit, salad, dinner, everything.
So, if we are how we shop, does that make me thrifty? A thrifty bargain hunter? A thrifty bargain hunter/recycler?
How do you shop, and what does it say about you?
Thanks for stopping by.


Comments
Post a Comment