The Great Purge
Last summer, I declared the summer "The Summer of Purge." I was bound and determined to get all the stuff we don't use, outdated toys, and other unwanted stuff out of our house. Lots of "stuff" makes me crazy - I can't stand it. So I did purge a lot of stuff out of our house - but there were some hangups or hiccups in the road. There were things I felt like I couldn't part with, not because I wanted them or used them. It was more out of a sense of obligation - I *should* keep this... because we got it as a gift, because my mother told me we should keep it, etc. Not good reasons, but reasons nevertheless.
NO MORE. I am purging this year with reckless abandon. I have read several articles about organization and purging and "shedding stuff." Basically, these articles convey common sense, but here are the basic ideas to live by when purging stuff:
1. Do you use it or have you used it in the last year? If not, get rid of it.
2. Do you have a strong emotional attachment to it? If not, get rid of it.
3. Do you have a visceral reaction against it? If so, get rid of it.
4. Does it fit? If not, get rid of it.
5. Is it taking up space that you could use for something you would use and/or love instead? If so, get rid of it.
Makes sense.
This purging reflects a larger sense of what I'm thinking about in terms of my home's organization and decor (I don't like that word, but I couldn't think of another one to describe it) right now. I'm trying to envision the rooms and storage in our home not in terms of how it's been, but what it could be - in other words, not be tied to how things have been kept in our home in the past. It's almost like I want to paint all the walls white and start fresh and reimagine how I would paint, organize, and structure everything now.
I am not sure why I'm thinking about this now. Maybe because we've been in this house almost 10 years and I have a hard time not changing anything in that amount of time. Maybe it's because I have a stronger sense of what I like and need and I'm realizing that my house is a whole lotta brown and earth tones when I prefer some stronger colors thrown in there as well. And realizing that I don't like stuff and that I really only want to keep the stuff we use and love. I think turning 40 is a milestone in life that makes you suddenly realize that you can do things your way, rather than the way someone else is telling you is right. That's why, when I turned 40 last year, I got rid of the dishes we got when we got married, because I've never really liked them. I gave them to my mom and bought the dishes I really loved.
Whatever the reason, the Great Purge is on! And I already feel better, "lighter," with less stuff.
I would be remiss if I didn't also include that I am donating or recycling almost all of the stuff I purge. Recycling is something I am passionate about - the thought of overrun landfills keeps me up at night. Thus, I am donating all the purges unless they're broken, missing pieces, torn, etc. If they are broken and the material is recyclable, they are going in the recycling bin. If you are also purging stuff, please consider how to recycle - whether by Craig's List/reselling, donating, or just putting it in your recycling bin.
I am excited about this project and can't wait for the extra space it will inevitably bring. Are you doing any purging of stuff this summer? How's it going?
As always, thanks for stopping by.
NO MORE. I am purging this year with reckless abandon. I have read several articles about organization and purging and "shedding stuff." Basically, these articles convey common sense, but here are the basic ideas to live by when purging stuff:
1. Do you use it or have you used it in the last year? If not, get rid of it.
2. Do you have a strong emotional attachment to it? If not, get rid of it.
3. Do you have a visceral reaction against it? If so, get rid of it.
4. Does it fit? If not, get rid of it.
5. Is it taking up space that you could use for something you would use and/or love instead? If so, get rid of it.
Makes sense.
This purging reflects a larger sense of what I'm thinking about in terms of my home's organization and decor (I don't like that word, but I couldn't think of another one to describe it) right now. I'm trying to envision the rooms and storage in our home not in terms of how it's been, but what it could be - in other words, not be tied to how things have been kept in our home in the past. It's almost like I want to paint all the walls white and start fresh and reimagine how I would paint, organize, and structure everything now.
I am not sure why I'm thinking about this now. Maybe because we've been in this house almost 10 years and I have a hard time not changing anything in that amount of time. Maybe it's because I have a stronger sense of what I like and need and I'm realizing that my house is a whole lotta brown and earth tones when I prefer some stronger colors thrown in there as well. And realizing that I don't like stuff and that I really only want to keep the stuff we use and love. I think turning 40 is a milestone in life that makes you suddenly realize that you can do things your way, rather than the way someone else is telling you is right. That's why, when I turned 40 last year, I got rid of the dishes we got when we got married, because I've never really liked them. I gave them to my mom and bought the dishes I really loved.
Whatever the reason, the Great Purge is on! And I already feel better, "lighter," with less stuff.
I would be remiss if I didn't also include that I am donating or recycling almost all of the stuff I purge. Recycling is something I am passionate about - the thought of overrun landfills keeps me up at night. Thus, I am donating all the purges unless they're broken, missing pieces, torn, etc. If they are broken and the material is recyclable, they are going in the recycling bin. If you are also purging stuff, please consider how to recycle - whether by Craig's List/reselling, donating, or just putting it in your recycling bin.
I am excited about this project and can't wait for the extra space it will inevitably bring. Are you doing any purging of stuff this summer? How's it going?
As always, thanks for stopping by.


You know I'm right there with you! Our new family philosophy is if you don't use it, lose it. We should start a purge party in blogland!
ReplyDelete