Jetsam

It's summer vacation here at the Dogs Don't Eat Pizza house.  The last day of school was yesterday and today is filled with cinnamon rolls, baseball, a play date, fun outside, hot dogs on the grill for lunch.  We are all relaxed and happy.

Summer vacation is the time that I usually spend doing house projects, including painting rooms, gardening, fixing things, etc.  I usually have a particular urgency about these projects, too, thinking I can get them done and THEN enjoy what's left of summer break.  Problem is that, by the time I get them done, there is no summer break left to enjoy and I feel like the summer has passed me by.

One summer, I had a friend who decided to not schedule anything for the summer break.  No camp for the kids, no projects...just relaxing.  Candidly, I thought she was insane...for several reasons.  First, I thought not having something occupying the kids during most of the day was nuts.  I love my children, but I do not want to spend every waking moment with them every day for three months.  Second, I'm a planner.  I don't fly by the seat of my pants very well.  So the idea of not having a game plan for that many days would freak me out.

Third, I like doing things.  I always think that I am going to take my book to the coffee shop, sip a latte, and sit there for hours to read.  I have never done this.  I just always think I have too much I could be *doing* to just sit.

This year, however, I find myself more and more feeling this way - that is, to be a bit more relaxed, unscheduled, and in need of sitting for a spell.  I feel a bit "project-ed" out.  I had a rough year this school year, with breaking my leg and other stuff going on, and now I feel like I NEED a break.  Not that I just want one, but that I actually need, crave, have to have one.

So, thus begins the summer break.  A true break.  Yes, I still have projects that I want to get done, and I will get them done.  I have to paint the entry hallway and put the pictures back up on the wall.  I need to clean out the kids' closets and rooms and get rid of things outgrown or worn out.  And we might get a new kitchen, which will require a lot of planning and scheduling and busy-ness.  That said, I am also going to do some sitting - on my patio, which, while not perfect, will just remain as is for the summer.

Happy Summer, y'all.

Comments

Popular Posts