Blogpostus Interruptus
I had big plans for today’s blog post. I’m cleaning out my
closet and organizing it and was going to post about that. I always love cleaning out my closet because
(a) I get to purge things that don’t fit/I don’t want/are worn out/etc. and (b)
I get to pull out and remember all the great clothes I have for the upcoming
season. And I get to organize it all so
it’s nice and neat. Sounds great, right?
Enter: one five-year-old little girl.
M is going through a phase right now where she cannot get
enough of my attention. She is usually
very good, although she certainly has a devilish streak in her. But now she is doing everything she can to
get my attention, negative or positive.
I have to tell her five times to do something before she does it. If I
tell her not to do something, she immediately does it. Yes, this is all normal-ish five-year-old
behavior…it’s just that it’s not usually her
behavior.
Tonight, as I looked forward to finishing my closet, taking
pictures, and writing my post, M melted down.
Everything was a disaster. There
was a lot of crying. There was a lot of
mess (I’ll leave it at that). There was a lot of clean up. I was ticked.
She seemed delighted to see me.
Grumble.
I get why she’s vying for my attention…there are so many
things that pull on my attention and she wants to make sure she gets her
share. I get that. But I also get that I have a full-time
job. I have a son, too, who happens to
be having trouble with reading and needs help with that and other homework,
too. I make all meals, grocery
shop, take care of the dogs, take care of all of us. And I have this blog,
which I love, love, love writing and which has become my new passion that I
want to pursue and make into something great.
Not that long ago, there was an article (actually, several,
but one especially that got attention in the media) about how women just can’t
have it all. I’ve always had a problem
with that phrase (“have it all”) because “all” is defined differently for
different women. But as a woman who has
a full-time job, is a wife, is a mom, has chores to do, and has a hobby to
pursue into something bigger (maybe? Hopefully), I freely admit that I cannot
have it all. I can’t do it all.
I am exhausted. I am
overweight. I don’t have time to get to
the gym. I don’t have time to finish
cleaning out my closet, even, because right now I have too many demands on my
time and not enough hours in the day.
And no, I don’t get up at 5 AM and I’m not going to start.
Today, I only stopped moving once. I made breakfast for the kids. I took them to
a playdate. I taught my class. I picked up the kids. We came home and I ate lunch. We had some rest time – that was good – then we
went to the store and to the hardware store so we could make s’mores in our
fire pit. Then I made dinner, then
cleaned up dinner, then cleaned up fire pit, took out trash, cleaned dog poop
off D’s shoes, did two loads of laundry, and dealt with the melting-down M. I
worked on my closet. I took the dogs out. And it’s 10:15 PM and I haven’t even
done any work for my real job and I have papers to review.
Is my story unique?
Heck no. I’m grateful that we
aren’t battling a serious illness or something devastating like that (KNOCK
WOOD). What’s taxing my schedule is
largely of my own making and nothing that can’t be dealt with somehow.
M and I have a mommy-daughter “date” this Sunday. Just us girls. Maybe that will help. In the meantime, I’m just going to take deep
breaths.
And, hopefully, my next post will be about my closet being
done.
As always, thank you for stopping by.


I too feel guilty when I feel frustrated and overwhelmed by my (by comparison) good life. Kids do that to us. No one would be more devastated by an interrupted closet organizing session, so I feel your pain. Have a good night's sleep, send them back to school tomorrow, and try again.
ReplyDeleteThanks, friend. You're right, you're right, I know you're right. (I've been looking for some red suede pumps.)
DeleteSweetheart you need an afternoon off, all by yourself, OUT of the house. Big hugs - try to find time for you, too.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Anne. I am going to the Southern Bloggers Conference Friday, so that's going to be some serious me-time! Thank you! xoxo
DeleteYou hit the nail on the head with this post. For realz. I too am exhausted and all the rest and you'd better believe I'm not waking up at 5am. I've also got a three-year old son who is desperate for attention like nobody's business.
ReplyDeleteWe can do this. We're awesome.