What a Difference a Day Makes
Yesterday was just wacky. Like Wacky Wednesday wacky. Like I expected to see a shoe on the ceiling and a fish in a baby carriage wacky.
I started my day teaching my class. I went to class, turned on the computer, and the projector wouldn't turn on. The light was on that it should have been on, but bupkus. Nothing. Lights are on, no one is home. So, with about six minutes before my class, I ran to the AV guys (who are awesome) and they powered it down and powered it back up and it mysteriously came back on. Whew. Crisis averted, right?
Ten minutes later, I'm fully into the first part of the lesson plan, and the lights in the room start flickering. It's not raining. It's not windy. I ask the students if it's just me or did they notice it (they did). Then, about two minutes later, the lights went off. Completely.
In ten years of teaching, that has never happened.
Thankfully, the students took it in stride. We laughed about how the room must be haunted (only our classroom's lights were out; the one next door was fine). I gave them an exercise to work on and I went and got the maintenance people and the lights went back on. The lights flickered a few more times, but stayed on for the rest of the class. Whew. Crisis averted. Right?
Then I went home for lunch (I live about a mile from work, so no biggie). The countertops were there! Great! Right?
Wrong.
I walk into my house and the countertop installation dude says to me, "I'm sure [your contractor] already told you about the problem?" (Cue ominous music.) Innocently, I reply, "Um, no. What problem?"
Despite the fact that the countertop folks did a laser measurement of the area for the countertops (computers can't be wrong, right?), they managed to get the measurement wrong, so that the cut-out for the sink was now squarely over...the dishwasher. Wrong! Thank you for playing.
I was half expecting to look up and see a gray cloud over only my head. Seriously. A haunted classroom. Countertops which, for the second time now, are not done right. Grumble grumble.
The rest of the day went fine. In fact, things improved quickly, as I got my hair cut (a life-changing, happy experience for me) and finally ate lunch at 3 PM (better late than never).
Fast forward to today. Ah, today. Much better.
I start the day at a meeting. I anticipate that it will take an hour and a half. It takes half an hour. I love that.
I went to work. I cleaned my office. I recycled a lot of paper. I love that.
I came home, had lunch, got into yoga pants and thick socks (I love socks), and worked from home the rest of the day. I love that.
The countertops arrived, again. This time, they were right. Three's a charm. Perfect. Beautiful. I love that.
The tile went up on one side of the kitchen. Gorgeous. Love that.
And my five-year old daughter, who should definitely not be old enough to lose a tooth, lost her first tooth tonight. OK, right, she's five, I get it. But she's my little bean, and I was kind of caught off guard when she first told me it was loose. I'm not one of those "I can't believe my baaaaby is growing up" kind of parents, but this made me a little weepy. She's my little bean, after all. She was so excited she couldn't stand it. We called the grandparents. We wrote the tooth fairy a note (she wants to keep the tooth to bring it to school tomorrow). She went to bed with a toothless grin. I love that.
Today was wonderful. Totally made up for yesterday.
Maybe this is what people mean by living life in balance. Sure, it's good to be balanced in your life in terms of your priorities and activities. But somedays are like Wacky Wednesday. And somedays are like today - a fabulous Tuesday. It balances out.
I hope you all had a great day. As always, thank you for stopping by.
I started my day teaching my class. I went to class, turned on the computer, and the projector wouldn't turn on. The light was on that it should have been on, but bupkus. Nothing. Lights are on, no one is home. So, with about six minutes before my class, I ran to the AV guys (who are awesome) and they powered it down and powered it back up and it mysteriously came back on. Whew. Crisis averted, right?
Ten minutes later, I'm fully into the first part of the lesson plan, and the lights in the room start flickering. It's not raining. It's not windy. I ask the students if it's just me or did they notice it (they did). Then, about two minutes later, the lights went off. Completely.
In ten years of teaching, that has never happened.
Thankfully, the students took it in stride. We laughed about how the room must be haunted (only our classroom's lights were out; the one next door was fine). I gave them an exercise to work on and I went and got the maintenance people and the lights went back on. The lights flickered a few more times, but stayed on for the rest of the class. Whew. Crisis averted. Right?
Then I went home for lunch (I live about a mile from work, so no biggie). The countertops were there! Great! Right?
Wrong.
I walk into my house and the countertop installation dude says to me, "I'm sure [your contractor] already told you about the problem?" (Cue ominous music.) Innocently, I reply, "Um, no. What problem?"
Despite the fact that the countertop folks did a laser measurement of the area for the countertops (computers can't be wrong, right?), they managed to get the measurement wrong, so that the cut-out for the sink was now squarely over...the dishwasher. Wrong! Thank you for playing.
I was half expecting to look up and see a gray cloud over only my head. Seriously. A haunted classroom. Countertops which, for the second time now, are not done right. Grumble grumble.
The rest of the day went fine. In fact, things improved quickly, as I got my hair cut (a life-changing, happy experience for me) and finally ate lunch at 3 PM (better late than never).
Fast forward to today. Ah, today. Much better.
I start the day at a meeting. I anticipate that it will take an hour and a half. It takes half an hour. I love that.
I went to work. I cleaned my office. I recycled a lot of paper. I love that.
I came home, had lunch, got into yoga pants and thick socks (I love socks), and worked from home the rest of the day. I love that.
The countertops arrived, again. This time, they were right. Three's a charm. Perfect. Beautiful. I love that.
The tile went up on one side of the kitchen. Gorgeous. Love that.
And my five-year old daughter, who should definitely not be old enough to lose a tooth, lost her first tooth tonight. OK, right, she's five, I get it. But she's my little bean, and I was kind of caught off guard when she first told me it was loose. I'm not one of those "I can't believe my baaaaby is growing up" kind of parents, but this made me a little weepy. She's my little bean, after all. She was so excited she couldn't stand it. We called the grandparents. We wrote the tooth fairy a note (she wants to keep the tooth to bring it to school tomorrow). She went to bed with a toothless grin. I love that.
Today was wonderful. Totally made up for yesterday.
Maybe this is what people mean by living life in balance. Sure, it's good to be balanced in your life in terms of your priorities and activities. But somedays are like Wacky Wednesday. And somedays are like today - a fabulous Tuesday. It balances out.
I hope you all had a great day. As always, thank you for stopping by.




I think the haunted classroom is a little awesome. Maybe you should invite one of those paranormal investigator shows over so they can perform an exorcism. YOUR GHOST-FIGHTING ADVENTURE WILL BE AWESOME. :)
ReplyDeleteWe were talking about needing an exorcism, actually. We'll see what happens for the next class. Anything else happens, and I'm putting one of those X-Files folks on speed dial!
Delete