A "Me Party"* after a Rough Morning

What a day.  I started off by going to the doctor about my knee.  It turns out that I have something called a baker cyst behind my knee that's causing it not to work correctly (buckling, locking, etc.).  Because of the cyst (filled with fluid) and the inflammation around it, the MRI didn't indicate whether there was a tear in the meniscus.  The good news is that the ligaments look good, tendons look good, knee cap looks good, cartilage looks good, and no tear to be found as of now.  So, the doctor gave me a cortisone injection and told me to keep an eye on it, keep ice on it, and take anti-inflammatories.

I love my orthopedic doctor.  He rocks.  He's smart and funny and he is honest with me.  He explains things to me like I have a brain in my head and always accurately.  I told him it's a good thing I like him so much because I've let him do yucky stuff to my left leg.  Four years ago, I tore a ligament in my foot/ankle.  Rather than just signing me up for surgery, he decided I was in good enough shape that we could try something called PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma), where he took blood from my arm, spun it down to the platelets, then reinjected it in my torn ligament, so that my body could heal itself.  It's so simple, it's genius.  This is something that NFL players had used successfully to avoid surgery, so if it was good enough for Hines Ward, it was good enough for me.

It worked.  No surgery.  And no problems since.  Amazing.  Body healed thyself.

So when he pulls out this big honkin needle, I remind him how much I trust him or else I would not let him get near me with that.  He described exactly how it would feel.  I said, "Is it going to hurt?"  He said, "No, I'm going to feel fine after."  Ha.  What a comedian.  But how he described how it was going to feel was exactly how it felt.

Afterwards, it hurt.  Then it didn't - the numbing medicine kicked in and I felt great.  I thought, "I could do this.  I could do that."  And the doctor said I'd feel great for two hours and then not so much.

And he was right about that, too.  After about two hours, I crashed.  Felt awful.  Crawled in bed with Advil and took a nap.  Then, when I woke up, all I wanted was a milkshake - true comfort food.

Once I finally peeled myself off the bed, I went and got a milkshake.  Yummy good.  Chocolate, of course.  Then, realizing I had very little time before I had to pick the kids up, I decided to check out a thrift store and a furniture consignment store.  Nothing cheers me up like a milkshake and a bargain.  It's a Me Party!

Here's what I found, both at the consignment store:


OK, you can't see it that well there, because it's in the front seat of my car.  But it's a lamp with a glass base and awesome shade ($27) and handmade silk embroidered pillows ($16/each).  I have put the pillows on my bed already - I love them!  The turquoise and brown go great with the colors in the shams and rug.



See, even Bear finds them fabulous.  She is an excellent design helper.  And napper.  She was having fun enjoying the house to herself today while Hank was at the vet having his teeth cleaned.  I'm surprised she didn't have a big ol party, honestly.  Anyway, I digress...

Here is a close-up of the lamp (and M's Scooby Doo lunchbox - please ignore):



I haven't put it where I want it yet, because I've been good and staying off my knee.  But I know exactly where it's going.  More on that tomorrow... pics to come.

Anyway, that's how my day went.  How was your day?  Anyone else have a me party?

Thanks for stopping by.


*With thanks to the Muppets.

Comments

Popular Posts