You're So Vain... a post about (a) vanity

Stepping outside the Thirty Days of Gratitude for a spell...

I am trying to create a crafting and projects area in our guest room.  My desk/office space is already there (if you want to see the fabulous redesign of my guest room, click here), so it only makes sense to put a crafting and project area there, too. 

This is the area I'm going to convert to my project space:


"Is that a vanity?" you ask yourself, upon viewing this mess of a space.  

Why yes, it is.  This is the area between the guest room closet (which is huge - good storage) and the bathroom.  The vanity is original to the house (circa 1962) and has a closed-off pipe in case anyone ever wanted to plumb it (no one did).

So, here's the question: Do I rip out the vanity?  Or do I leave it there and just use it for storage and a countertop?  Obviously it would be much easier to leave it in and just organize around it and use it as best I can, but ripping it out would allow me to customize the storage there, and I already have a craft table to use in the space (and it's wider than the countertop).

I'd love your thoughts.  What do you think?  Where do you do your projects?

Thanks for stopping by!

Comments

  1. Hmm. Tough call. Use what you have and get it done quickly, or take some time and do it right? If you have the time, I would take it out. It will only annoy you as is. You will spend all the time there thinking you should have done it, and whatever you design will be much more practical and user-friendly. (And it all would make excellent blog posts.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK here's what I would do, I'd paint the base a funky colour that you LOVE, install lots of shelves above it and maybe take the doors off one of the corners and install a workbench like table or just another length of counter top down that wall. See images on links:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/105553184986921164/
    http://pinterest.com/pin/105553184986459497/

    I would definitely not tear out something that is so perfectly situated and has tons of storage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohh! Fun Project! I can't wait to see what you do with it. You are right... the existing vanity would provide great storage. BUT, if you already have a craft table for the space and feel pretty good about having to touch up paint, flooring, etc where you tear the vanity out, I would tear it out and put the craft table in. While the vanity would give you great storage, it might not be a comfortable place to sit and work on your projects. Make the space what you want it to be! You can regain your lost storage with a few hanging cabinets (could even hit Habitat Restore for them) or open shelves above your table. Lots of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make it into an L. Keep the cabinet, paint it a fun color, remove the doors and add baskets for open storage, get a piece of wood and rest one end on part of the cabinet and run it along the other wall and prop it on a file cabinet - instant desk! Put lots of shelves over the cabinet and new desk - best of both worlds!

    Lucky you to have such a fabulous space to work with!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts