Thirty Days of Gratitude, Day 12: Cooking - and This Week's Menu!
Now that things are getting more back to normal here at Dogs Don't Eat Pizza HQ, I'm back to planning our meals (and generally planning and organizing other stuff as well - see this post for my post-grading putting it back together mode).
I am thankful that my mother taught me how to cook. She is a fantastic cook and baker, and I'm grateful that she gave me not only the recipes, but the skills to know when a recipe works, when you can change a recipe, and other cooking-related secrets. I'm thankful that I enjoy cooking and I think there are few things better than preparing food and having people enjoy it.
Here is this week's menu:
Sunday - tacos - with a make-your-own taco bar (lettuce, tomato, black olives, salsa, sour cream, cheese) - this was a big hit! Everyone cleaned their plates.
Monday: BBQ pork roast in the crock pot. A super-easy recipe: the night before, put a Boston Butt pork roast in a ziploc bag with your favorite BBQ sauce (or make your own). Then, in the morning, put it in the crock pot on low. Cook it on low for 10-12 hours. When done, take it out and let it rest for 10-15 minutes, then shred or slice the meat and serve. I'm serving it with cole slaw, baked beans, and buns (to make little BBQ pork sliders).
Tuesday: Roast Chicken with Octo-Vinaigrette, from Catherine Newman - also a super easy recipe and one that has made it into our regular dinner rotation. Take a whole chicken, rinse it and pat it dry. Then rub with 2 T softened butter. Salt it inside and out, using 2 tsp. kosher salt (or half as much table salt). Put in roasting pan (you can put it on top of scallions if you want) and roast at 450 for about an hour and a half. Once done, let it rest on the cutting board before carving.
The vinaigrette (from Momofuku cookbook via Catherine Newman):
Wednesday: Leftover BBQ pork, maybe served as tacos or sliders again.
Thursday: Spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, salad
Friday: Out to dinner!
What's on your menu this week?
What are you thankful for today?
Thanks for stopping by!
I am thankful that my mother taught me how to cook. She is a fantastic cook and baker, and I'm grateful that she gave me not only the recipes, but the skills to know when a recipe works, when you can change a recipe, and other cooking-related secrets. I'm thankful that I enjoy cooking and I think there are few things better than preparing food and having people enjoy it.
Here is this week's menu:
Sunday - tacos - with a make-your-own taco bar (lettuce, tomato, black olives, salsa, sour cream, cheese) - this was a big hit! Everyone cleaned their plates.
Monday: BBQ pork roast in the crock pot. A super-easy recipe: the night before, put a Boston Butt pork roast in a ziploc bag with your favorite BBQ sauce (or make your own). Then, in the morning, put it in the crock pot on low. Cook it on low for 10-12 hours. When done, take it out and let it rest for 10-15 minutes, then shred or slice the meat and serve. I'm serving it with cole slaw, baked beans, and buns (to make little BBQ pork sliders).
Tuesday: Roast Chicken with Octo-Vinaigrette, from Catherine Newman - also a super easy recipe and one that has made it into our regular dinner rotation. Take a whole chicken, rinse it and pat it dry. Then rub with 2 T softened butter. Salt it inside and out, using 2 tsp. kosher salt (or half as much table salt). Put in roasting pan (you can put it on top of scallions if you want) and roast at 450 for about an hour and a half. Once done, let it rest on the cutting board before carving.
The vinaigrette (from Momofuku cookbook via Catherine Newman):
- 1 tablespoon each very finely chopped ginger and garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped pickled jalapeno (I leave this out sometimes because of the kiddos)
- 1/4 cup each rice vinegar and soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
Wednesday: Leftover BBQ pork, maybe served as tacos or sliders again.
Thursday: Spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, salad
Friday: Out to dinner!
What's on your menu this week?
What are you thankful for today?
Thanks for stopping by!


Comments
Post a Comment