Update from HQ...It's Bargain Thursday!

Time for an update from Dogs Don't Eat Pizza Headquarters...

As many of you who follow me on Facebook already know, the dogs and children slept through the night last night!  No storms, no nightmares, no need for a hug at 3 AM...I slept.  It was a beautiful thing.  I felt like a new person this morning.

With one exception... I either have a cold or pink eye or both.  Rats.  Might explain, though, why I've been run down lately.

Even with this minor malady, I got lots done today, so here's the official update:

(1) I sanded the spackled areas in D's room to even out the walls where the decals took the paint off.  Thanks to Cynthia, Matt, and Chung who gave sage advice on this - it worked beautifully and the walls are smooth as silk.

(2) Sanding spackle off the wall is quite difficult when wearing glasses (instead of contacts - see above re pink eyes).  I really could have used some windshield wipers.

(3) I decided what else to do with D's room to finish the design.
He has built-in shelves under the dormer wall and window.  It has a ledge on top that just collects dust. Here are some mediocre (sorry) pictures of it:



Given the Duke theme, I think I'm going to paint a basketball court - Coach K Court, in fact - on this ledge.  I'll stencil the letters on either side and paint the top yellow-straw-light wood color, like the actual court.

The other decision was what to do with the windows.  There's been a lot floating around the DIY blogosphere and Pinterest using drop cloths for window coverings.  I am going to try this with D's windows, which are oddly shaped (because of the dormer and the other one is sort of over his bed).  I'm going to use canvas drop cloths to make window treatments, with a Duke blue stripe along the bottom.  I may do the faux Roman shades again like I did in M's room, or I might just make them curtains and pull them back somehow - not sure yet.  But the idea is there.

(4) So, in the title I noted that it's BARGAIN THURSDAY!  Who knew it would end up being bargain Thursday?!?  Well, I scored two big bargains today.

First, I got a Freecycle email that someone was giving away a Pottery Barn craft organizer.  She had me at Pottery Barn.  I emailed the person and asked for a photo.  She said it was new - never out of the box.  I picked it up this morning.  Here's what it looks like (picture found online; mine is still wrapped in plastic).  Brand new! As in, the box was still taped and the shipping invoice still attached to the box.  It's great and I can't wait to hang it in my "office"/guest room.  And it was FREE!

Then, as if a Thursday could not get any better...

I found the perfect counter stools for our new kitchen!  We needed counter-height stools for our new kitchen.  I have been looking all over and hadn't found what I was looking for (that would be a great name for a song, yes?  Anyway...).  Today, for some reason, I had this thought - nay, an epiphany - to go into Marshalls.  I was in the neighborhood, and thought, "Hey, I wonder if they have stools?"  They did!  I found these stools:



They are apparently made of acacia wood, so they are kind of a grayish-brown.  Also, the tag says they were given a "wire brush treatment."  You can see (kind of) the distressing of them in the second picture above.  They're rustic and just perfect.  Well, almost perfect.  The seat fabric is gen-u-ine mahufus hide (i.e., fake, vinyl, pleather) and it's pretty awful.  Luckily, I have some fabric socked away that I can use to re-cover them.  Then they will be perfect.  Oh, right- the BARGAIN part!  They were $79 a piece!  I know, right?!?  And one of them has a chip on its shoulder (no, really, it's on the top part of the stool - see second picture at top left) and I asked for a little discount for that and they took off 10%!  See!  Bargain Thursday! Who knew.

So, that's the update from HQ.  I'm feeling kind of stuffy and icky, so I'm going to bed.  Tomorrow I really will paint D's room.  Really.  I'm going to do it.  Honest.

Thanks for stopping by.  Gnight.

Comments

  1. You tease. You say "Pottery Barn" and "craft organizer" and "photo" and then leave me hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - use the hyperlink to the picture. If you hover over "Here's" in that sentence, and click on it, it should send you there. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll take a picture of the actual one I got today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts