The Bane of My Existence ... The Basement
We are very fortunate that our house has a finished
basement. When we bought this house, we
knew that it would be our office/mancave and eventually an office/playroom for
kids. We painted it a sunny yellow (Behr
Butter Cookie) and off we went…
As the kids got older, the amount of stuff multiplied
exponentially. Although they loved
having their toys and blocks and cars and stuff in the living room (and kitchen…and
bathroom…oh, I digress), we were constantly reminding them that the basement
was their playroom.
There were two problems to this theory, however. First, the kids didn’t like going down the
basement by themselves when they were really young – it was kind of scary and
away from me in the kitchen or living room.
Second, we didn’t really have any good storage down there. We had thrown a few bookcases down there and
some plastic bins on wheels, but the amount of stuff quickly overflowed from
those containers.
So, I purchased bins and boxes and shelves from Ikea and Target…all
to no avail, really. It seemed as though
every time I went down to the basement, the toys were EVERYWHERE…all over the floor
and in bins and on shelves. And all jumbled up. Despite my best efforts to be organized and to impart such ideas to my children, I would find cherries from Hi Ho Cherry O in the superhero bin. And, what's worse, there
was no room to actually play with those toys.
In short, crap was everywhere.
I have been scouring organization ideas blogs and websites
and finally got the inspiration and idea for how to organize the basement. I went to Ikea and bought a room full of
stuff – a table, chairs, tubs, more tubs, baskets, stuff to make wall art,
etc. And then I went to work.
I forgot to take real “before” pictures, so this is about an
hour into the project, after I realized I should take “before” pictures:
Here are “during” pictures:
And, at long last, the “after”:
I love it. I moved
the art supplies down to the basement, which makes more sense because (a) now
they are out of my kitchen and (b) M’s color-your-own castle monstrosity
thing is down there. I created a reading area, with a floor lamp for extra light, a beanbag, and a basket of fun books. I put everything in
clear bins so that the kids can see what’s in them. The only bin that isn’t see-through is an
Ikea bin where I spray-adhesived cool fabric I found in the as-is area of
Ikea. I loved this idea, and plan to do
it to three more bins for our living room, too.
Here’s a picture of that bin, but the picture didn’t come out great
because of the lighting and the dark fabric (it’s colorful with a bird on it,
with black background).
Everything is organized with like things together. For example, there is a basket for blocks, one for musical instruments, one for superhero action figures, one for cars (well, three for cars, actually), etc. You get the idea.
I love big, graphic images. For the art down here, the numbers are a poster from Ikea that I framed, and the letters are a pillow case I found in the as-is room at Ikea for $2, cut it and framed it.
And I love this...found for $5.99 at Ross - a place for artwork and a nice message...
And here, for kicks, are gratuitous pictures of my
dogs. Bear is bored; Hank is worn out by
all this organizing.
So that’s what I’ve been doing for the last three days (and
nights). Let's see if the kids keep it organized (or at least clean up after they trash it).
Time to get back to the real
world now. Maybe, if the kids stay in the basement, I could get some work done...








Comments
Post a Comment