Tug of War
In my "real life," I teach first-year law students legal writing, research, and advocacy. This part of the school year is the busiest for me. The students just turned in their first major paper (8- to 10-page analysis of a legal issue), so I have to review and comment on those. Did I mention I have 36 students? I am also teaching at least two classes a week, planning those classes and posting handouts and information on my class website. On top of that, I'm also getting the students ready for their next big paper, which is a research and analysis project. Whew.
Since I started this blog, I've been thinking about how I'm going to handle this time of year, when I feel like my head is spinning and might well fall off. On the one hand, I know I have tons of work to do and I need to focus on getting it done.
On the other hand, I have at least three projects I want to be working on:
(1) finish painting the last four risers on the stairs (this shouldn't take long; I should finish it this weekend);
(2) clean up the yard/garden;
(3) Halloween! So many craft ideas, so little time.
And, on top of all of that, I still have my maternal and home responsibilities.
See my head spinning now?
I am a planner and scheduler. I live by my calendar. If something isn't on my calendar, it doesn't get done.
So I'm going to have to schedule in project time. Otherwise, I am going to feel like something isn't - that I am not - complete.
What do I mean by complete? I have found - after 41 years - that, to feel balanced, I need some left brain AND right brain stuff going on. I explained this in this post - that I need some left-brain creative, hands-on time AND some right-brain thinking time, too.
I tried this delicate balance today. I started the day by planning my class for tomorrow. I posted handouts and readings to my class website. I sent emails. Work...done. Check. Then I went out to the garden and dug up some weeds. I finished cleaning out the garage/taking out recycling. I cleaned the house.
Balance.
Do I still have a ton of work to do? Yes. But do I feel less stressed about it? Yup. Sure do.
It's all about balance. Spray painting and grading...all in one day. That's what I say.
As always, thanks for stopping by.
Since I started this blog, I've been thinking about how I'm going to handle this time of year, when I feel like my head is spinning and might well fall off. On the one hand, I know I have tons of work to do and I need to focus on getting it done.
On the other hand, I have at least three projects I want to be working on:
(1) finish painting the last four risers on the stairs (this shouldn't take long; I should finish it this weekend);
(2) clean up the yard/garden;
(3) Halloween! So many craft ideas, so little time.
And, on top of all of that, I still have my maternal and home responsibilities.
See my head spinning now?
I am a planner and scheduler. I live by my calendar. If something isn't on my calendar, it doesn't get done.
So I'm going to have to schedule in project time. Otherwise, I am going to feel like something isn't - that I am not - complete.
What do I mean by complete? I have found - after 41 years - that, to feel balanced, I need some left brain AND right brain stuff going on. I explained this in this post - that I need some left-brain creative, hands-on time AND some right-brain thinking time, too.
I tried this delicate balance today. I started the day by planning my class for tomorrow. I posted handouts and readings to my class website. I sent emails. Work...done. Check. Then I went out to the garden and dug up some weeds. I finished cleaning out the garage/taking out recycling. I cleaned the house.
Balance.
Do I still have a ton of work to do? Yes. But do I feel less stressed about it? Yup. Sure do.
It's all about balance. Spray painting and grading...all in one day. That's what I say.
As always, thanks for stopping by.


I search for balance EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I figure, tomorrow I'll get it all right. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this, though I'm sorry you are, too. It's hard. Good advice - there's always tomorrow.
DeleteI'm a planner too and get stressed out.
ReplyDeleteNew follower from Thee Networking Blog Hop. Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can.
www.thenaptimereview.com
Julie @ Naptime Review
Thanks! Will do, Julie. Thanks for coming over to my blog!
Delete