Musings about Passover and Spring
A few prefatory notes to this blog post:
First, I was not raised in a religious family, nor do I particularly consider myself a religious person. I would say that I'm spiritual and I believe in G-d, but I don't need to be doctrinally strict about how that all works. Growing up, we didn't have a Passover seder, although when I was older we often went to one at someone else's house, but we did look for Easter eggs and have Easter baskets - all secular stuff.
Second, I love cooking, especially comfort-y food.
With that said, I have come to love, love, love making Passover dinner and the whole seder shebang. I actually credit Wendy Armstrong for this. When I first moved to Atlanta, she and I played on the same soccer team and she figured I was Jewish (with a last name like Bernstein, after all), so she had me over for seder, along with several other friends away from home. It was so fun, and the food was outstanding (to this day, I will tell you that I have never tasted a better brisket than Wendy's), and I just loved it. It was warm and comforting. And did I tell you how good the food was? Oy.
Then I met my Dear Husband, and we had seders together and we went to other family's seders. Each time we were welcomed in with open arms and full plates, and it was always fun and, again, well, comforting.
Now we have our own seder - with our own favorite foods and very low-key (with two little kids running around - what do you expect?). And I have come to love this. First, I love all the food involved - chicken soup with my mother's matzo ball recipe, brisket and veggies, charoses, even gefilte fish with lots and lots of horseradish. And even trying new recipes - this year, Passover chocolate chip cookies (not bad!) and farfel muffins. The food tastes comforting to me and it's always fresh and delicious.
But I also love what the seder represents. Family coming together, even if it's not your own family but just people that you consider family (the family you choose, someone once I told me). The representation of spring - the eggs, the bright green parsley. The symbolism of what's on the seder plate (I love good symbolism).
I was talking to a friend today, comparing Passover preparations to Thanksgiving, and we agreed that we enjoyed doing the Passover stuff more. For some reason, it seems easier, even though I'm cooking by myself and with a boot on my leg. It's more laid back and the food just seems easier (and more fun) to make.
This year, I have loved having my daughter help me with the food. She helped shape the matzo balls and make the chocolate chip cookies. I hope that I can pass on to her the love of cooking and especially making such an elaborate and celebratory meal.
I wish all of you a happy spring, a happy Passover, a happy Easter, and many blessings. Love to all.
First, I was not raised in a religious family, nor do I particularly consider myself a religious person. I would say that I'm spiritual and I believe in G-d, but I don't need to be doctrinally strict about how that all works. Growing up, we didn't have a Passover seder, although when I was older we often went to one at someone else's house, but we did look for Easter eggs and have Easter baskets - all secular stuff.
Second, I love cooking, especially comfort-y food.
With that said, I have come to love, love, love making Passover dinner and the whole seder shebang. I actually credit Wendy Armstrong for this. When I first moved to Atlanta, she and I played on the same soccer team and she figured I was Jewish (with a last name like Bernstein, after all), so she had me over for seder, along with several other friends away from home. It was so fun, and the food was outstanding (to this day, I will tell you that I have never tasted a better brisket than Wendy's), and I just loved it. It was warm and comforting. And did I tell you how good the food was? Oy.
Then I met my Dear Husband, and we had seders together and we went to other family's seders. Each time we were welcomed in with open arms and full plates, and it was always fun and, again, well, comforting.
Now we have our own seder - with our own favorite foods and very low-key (with two little kids running around - what do you expect?). And I have come to love this. First, I love all the food involved - chicken soup with my mother's matzo ball recipe, brisket and veggies, charoses, even gefilte fish with lots and lots of horseradish. And even trying new recipes - this year, Passover chocolate chip cookies (not bad!) and farfel muffins. The food tastes comforting to me and it's always fresh and delicious.
But I also love what the seder represents. Family coming together, even if it's not your own family but just people that you consider family (the family you choose, someone once I told me). The representation of spring - the eggs, the bright green parsley. The symbolism of what's on the seder plate (I love good symbolism).
I was talking to a friend today, comparing Passover preparations to Thanksgiving, and we agreed that we enjoyed doing the Passover stuff more. For some reason, it seems easier, even though I'm cooking by myself and with a boot on my leg. It's more laid back and the food just seems easier (and more fun) to make.
This year, I have loved having my daughter help me with the food. She helped shape the matzo balls and make the chocolate chip cookies. I hope that I can pass on to her the love of cooking and especially making such an elaborate and celebratory meal.
I wish all of you a happy spring, a happy Passover, a happy Easter, and many blessings. Love to all.


One of my favorite things about you is the happy amalgamation you have put together of religious and secular holiday traditions. I joke about the Christmas tree, but I love it (to be honest, mine is no more religious in concept than yours, despite being raised Catholic). It's quirky, but in an inclusive we'll-take-the-best-of-everything sort of way. Happy everything!
ReplyDeleteThank you - that is high praise. Thank you.
Delete